Mobile Phone - HTC One X

Submitted: Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 19:10
ThreadID: 99526 Views:2863 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I would appreciate any comments regarding the above phone.

I quote from the literature ..... HTC One X is the latest and most powerful flagship smartphone by the popular Taiwanese manufacturer. The beautifully crafted polycarbonate unibody phone boasts very impressive features including a 1.5GHz Quad-core processor along with 1GB RAM on NVIDIA's Tegra 3 chipset that provides super-fast operation. The phone is powered by Google's Android OS v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and gives full access to Google Play with a huge database of over 650,000 downloadable apps and games.

The device features a 4.7-inch Super LCD2 capacitive touchscreen that displays sharp images. Its 1280 x 720 pixels screen is protected with Corning Gorilla Glass, supports multitouch and employs HTC's aesthetically designed Sense 4 user interface.

It is BLUE TICK which is a requirement for us but we are unfamiliar with all the rest of it. Our current phones are not even Next G!
Thank you for your feedback,
Rob
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 19:44

Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 19:44
Well there's blue ticks and there's blue ticks!

I have a blue tick Samsung Galaxy S2, and the wife has a Motorola Defy also Blue Tick.

The Defy will get good reception in places where I get absolutely nothing. So I really don't think the Blue Tick means a heck of a lot.
AnswerID: 500566

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 15:06

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 15:06
No wonder your S2 doesn't get as good reception as the Defy. ( I assume you mean a defy +). The S2 has never had bluetick, it has one of the worst receptions of any phone unfortunately. S3 is even worse.

Here is a great article that has a very Kondinin Next G phone reception comparisonthorough test report.
FollowupID: 776647

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 20:39

Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 20:39
I have one and rate it highly. In the immediate family we have a Samsung Galaxy 3, An Iphone 5, An Iphone 4s and my HTC X One. It matches the others and has a better/bigger screen than the Iphones. I have yet to take it bush on a 4Wd trip...so cannot comment on the blue tick reception, but otherwise it ticks all the boxes. I use it for Navigation for my Concrete truck deliveries , as an accurate speedo in my Patrol with the excellent free Ulysse App (because it has non standard tyres) plus all the normal phone/camera/web functions. Cheers Witi
AnswerID: 500572

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:38

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:38
Is yours HTC One X or HTC One XL?
The outback calls

FollowupID: 776640

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 20:51

Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 20:51
Hi Rob,

I recently, about 6 weeks ago, upgraded my phone to a HTC One XL, so i am not sure whether this is the one you are enquiring about. It has a telstra blue tick which is one of the main reasons I went with it rather than a samsung galaxy or an iPhone, however as to whether it has a stronger signal I am yet to find out.
It's got a big screen, considerably larger than my daughters iPhone, has an impressive camera and all the bells and whistles you would expect for a smart phone...fantastic for checking emails and facebook and the like, google maps and plenty of apps. But then I guess they all are.
I took ages to make the decision and am not sure why now as it has been the easiest phone to learn to navigate my way around and will be a great asset when we set out on our next trip so I don't have to pull out the laptop so frequently!
I am on a telstra 2 year contract, $60 per month ($600 calls and 1 GB data) which so far has been more than adequate, signed up at our local Telstra shop and warned them that i would be back in to get help should I require it. That has not been necessary, yet!
My husband has learned to use it to make calls and that is it... so far!
regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 500576

Reply By: SteveAbbott - Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 22:16

Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 22:16
hands down the best phone on the market at the moment, love everything about it.

Im a plumber by trade and its a very hardy phone, very good coverage wise. Ive had probably 15 phones in 4 years, all of the big manufacturers and it beats everything easily in every aspect.
AnswerID: 500584

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 22:36

Monday, Dec 17, 2012 at 22:36
Only issue is, like most phones now, it's too big.
FollowupID: 776624

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:39

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:39
Is yours HTC One X or HTC One XL?
The outback calls

FollowupID: 776641

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:10

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:10
Get onto you tube. It's got plenty of reviews and comparisons of all the mobile phones
Also check if and when it's getting 4.1jellybean Wichita apparently is a vast improvement.
I "upgraded" to 4.0.3 and itsva dog of a system so hanging out for jellybean
AnswerID: 500610

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:14

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:14
Here's some light reading for you Robyn.

HTC Threads on Whirlpool
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 500613

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 15:01

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 15:01
Like Navigator 1 is pointing out there is a difference between the HTC one X and One XL, and even the unreleased One X+
T
The HTC One XL is the only phone on Telstra and hence the only bluetick phone. The X is on Optus and Vodafail only.

I was really excited when it came out. It seemed to meet all my needs. However on closer inspection it has a couple of major flaws.

1)It is 32G and can not be expanded. Of that 32G, only 24G is available for use. That may or may not be a problem but since it doesn't have a micro SD slot it was a big issue for me.
2)The battery life is terrible. It has many reports of only lasting 4 - 5 hours a day without calls, especially if you happened to be in a 4G location, even if you don't use it.
3)You can not replace the battery ( or carry a spare), which item 2 makes worse.

There is a later phone that does fix the battery life and memory problem, the HTC One X+ which was released about 4 weeks ago and replaces the One X and XL in most countries. HOWEVER HTC in their wisdom decided not to release it in Australia.

I would steer clear of it. My solution was a Galaxy S3 which has crappy reception, and a $99 Motorola defy+ for when I travel which is not only one of the best reception phones available, but it is dust, moisture and drop resistant.

AnswerID: 500625

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 15:06

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 15:06
I don't buy HTC these days Robyn, since I had one I though was OK.

Well it was except for the two times I crossed into South Australia. Blow me down, the mother board blew up each time. The first time they replaced it after four weeks, the second time was just after another few weeks they wouldn't honour any warranty. No water drops or anything, just a board failure.

Crossing to South Australia hasn't given me any phone issues since I switched away to Apple ..................
AnswerID: 500626

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 19:50

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 19:50
You obviously don't use it's map John, or you would still be trying to cross South Australia. LOL
FollowupID: 776665

Reply By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 14:40

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 14:40
Hi Rob
I bought this phone, the HTC OneXL via Telstra in June. I wanted a "blue tick" (aka Class C) phone so I called the Telstra shop in Dalby to ask what works well in the country. A young techy type fella listed this phone as popular in the area so I ordered it on line. I have since had it to the Simpson Desert and Cape York this year and have been wrapt in the reception. It has beaten other phones in the convoy for reception and I can definately recommend it. Battery life varies but is usually good for two days at least, depending on use. It's many features have exhausted my needs and I cannot fault it.

Regards to you and Chika for Christmas.
AnswerID: 500674

Follow Up By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 09:18

Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 09:18
Oh, and the bluetooth connectivity is the best I have ever experienced. Phone connects with both our vehicles EVERY time.
FollowupID: 776753

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 08:34

Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 08:34
Thank you to all those who have replied to this thread and to any others who may still do so.
I have bought the HTC One XL on a 2 yr/$60 per month contract. As I have never had a Smart Phone before I am only using the basic features at this stage - all is going well.
Greg, I am looking forward to sorting out the Blue Tooth side of things when I get home (or better still, my daughter can do this for me)

Present location - Emerald Qld and it is drizzling with rain (heavy rain here two days ago)
Rob
The outback calls

AnswerID: 500791

Reply By: Member - powernut (SA) - Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:26

Friday, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:26
I bought the model before the HTC One X and I have never had a mob work at my home. Imagine how I felt when a mate just one month later turns up with a new HTC One X and has a conversation on his phone in my drive. They definately have good reception. No doubt about it.
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

AnswerID: 501146

Sponsored Links